PROFESSIONAL DANCER INSTRUCTOR CHOREOGRAPHER
Omar Munoz was born and raised in Veracruz, Mexico. He has danced, taught, choreographed and performed since 1999. At age fifteen, he moved to California and a new chapter of his life started. Music and dancing had always been around him and was one of his biggest passions. Growing up, there was always music, especially salsa, playing around his home all day. Not wanting to be the guy at a party that didn’t know how to dance, Omar decided to learn to dance and quickly realized it came naturally to him.
I can’t wait to see what’s next… I’ve been blessed with great opportunities to dance and work with some amazing dancers and travel around with them. I will continue to share my talent and passion with the world as long as God allows me to.
When he first started, he would go to clubs almost every day. For the first four months, he would practice with friends after the clubs closed. Six months after he started, he was recruited by Rogelio Moreno of Salsabor Y Cache (SYC) to join his team. Omar danced with SYC for four years and gives Rogelio credit for building the foundation of his dancing. After SYC, Omar started dancing with one of the most recognized, internationally known, Joby Brava. They danced, taught and traveled together for about three years.
In 2011, he competed in the World Latin Dance Cup in the Same Gender division winning 2nd place. The following year, he competed in the On1 division at the World Latin Dance Cup where he won 1st place, and earned his title as World Champion.
In 2013, his coaching and choreography led to first place finishes in the Junior Couples Division and the Amateur Team Division.
Omar started his own dance company, Omambo Dance Project, in March 2013 and it has rapidly grown to become one of the largest teams on the West Coast. After winning back-to-back World Latin Dance Cup championships in 2014 and 2015, Omambo has been continuously sought after to perform and teach in venues around the world.
Knowledge and experience in club dances such as Salsa, Mambo, Cha Cha, and other Latin rhythms.
- 2016 – Chorepgrapher for 1st place Amateur Male Salsa Soloist, 2nd place Amateur Couple on2, 3rd place Amateur Salsa Team
- 2015 – 1st place Professional Team Division, Salsa – World Latin Dance Cup
- 2014 – 1st place Professional Team Division, Salsa – World Latin Dance Cup
- 2014 – Japan Tour
- 2013 – Coach and Choreographer of World Champion Amateur Team and Juniors Couple Division
- 2013 – Started Omambo Dance Project in Los Angeles
- 2013 – Featured dancer in “Preso” music video by Lombardo & LNY
- 2012 – 1st place on1 Professional Couples Division – World Latin Dance Cup
- 2012 – 2nd place Professional Team Division (as principal dancer) – World Latin Dance Cup
- 2010 – 2nd place Same Gender Salsa Division – 1st Annual World Latin Dance cup
- 2009 – Mayan Team Showdown Professional Teams Champion (principal dancer)
- 2007 – Competed on America´s Got Talent on national TV
- 2007 – Performed at the Hollywood Bowl at the Playboy Jazz Festival with the famous musician Arturo Sandoval and band
- 2005 – 3rd place at the Granada Salsa Competition Professional Category
- 2004 – 2006 – Performed and taught with Joby Brava – One of the most famous female salsa dancers world-wide
- 2005 – 2006 – Co-Director of San Diego Rumba Dance Company
- 2004 – 2005 Member of 1 Vicious 2 Mambo
- 2003 – Performed on the TV show “El Show De Franco”
- 2002 & 2003 – Performed at the Golden Eagle Awards
- 2002 – Performed live at the Latin Grammy’s with “The Queen of Salsa” Celia Cruz
- 2000 – 2004 – Member of Salsabor Y Cache Dance Company
- 1999 – present – Performed, choreographed and taught at various social, TV events and salsa congresses including Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, San Antonio, San Diego, Las Vegas, Miami, St Louis, Portland, Seattle, Japan, and Mexico